Thursday, March 14, 2019

My Conversation Partner

After conversing with my colleagues,  I think that my conversation partner (hereafter referred to as H) is a level 4 in WIDA standards. H is in late adolescence. She is 19 years old, and she has great work habits. She is has a strong identity and is very invested in her future.

I've known her since September and her speaking skills have grown a lot over the year! At first she kept her sentences very short, and if she wasn't sure how to answer a question she would say, "Hard question...". Now H is much more likely to produce longer, more descriptive sentences, try her best to answer 'hard questions', and ask me questions in return.

October: "I go to Los Angeles!" 

March: "Merry, I want to tell you, today I go to Paris, so I will not see you Wednesday. 
Do you have plan for break?"

She can define words like "trickle" and "innovation", as I found out when I helped her study for a test last week. She can talk about abstract issues and ideas, and explain slang to her friends.

When I give H feedback on her writing, she can revise it on her own, and she gives me feedback on my assignments too!

I make a lot of jokes when I speak, so H has gotten pretty good at identifying and understanding different forms of humor. Her favorites are knock-knock jokes. She makes up her own sometimes:

H: Merry! Knock-knock.
Me: Who's there?
H: Pork... ah... no, pig says.
Me: Pig says who?
H: No, pig says oink!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Conversation Partner

After conversing with my colleagues,  I think that my conversation partner (hereafter referred to as H) is a level 4 in WIDA standards. H is...