Monday, January 28, 2019

Book Club

Book 1: All American Boys by Jason Reynolds
             I was really inspired by the guest speakers during MLK week here at Saint Michael's College and I wanted to continue engaging in the conversation throughout the semester. This book explores issues of police brutality, racial profiling, and the dangers of indifference through the characters of Rashad and Quinn and the way their stories intertwine.

Book 2: Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel
          The Bechdel Test is named after the author of this graphic novel, so I was immediately intrigued. The test is used to measure gender inequality in film. To pass the test, a movie must have a scene where two named women talk to each other about something other than a man. I'm excited to learn more about the cartoonist who inspired such a big part of how we examine the film industry. I'm also excited to see how the themes of sexual identity are presented. I hope to see lots of positive female LGBT representation in this book!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Merry,

    I actually forgot that the author, Alison Bechdel, was the one that came up with the Bechdel Test. I think that All American Boys covers a theme that we might not see a lot in New England, and I think that as young adult literature, can provide many youth that haven't experienced a lot of diversity in their lives a window into the world that others live in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found it really interesting that you related All American Boys to MLK week. I am also reading this book and I feel like relating it to MLK will give me a greater appreciation for the issues I learn about in the novel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Merry,

    Thank you for introduing the book to us and I am very glad that we will read All American Book. The issues that in thi sbook, I really need to know and notice how these issues are important to us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound like super interesting books to read for myself and for future students. I think that the messages that these books relay are important and will ultimately benefit a fair and just mindset.

    ReplyDelete

My Conversation Partner

After conversing with my colleagues,  I think that my conversation partner (hereafter referred to as H) is a level 4 in WIDA standards. H is...